Wednesday, August 5, 2009

I have left Gunma and Nikko

Well what an amazing last two days I have had.
To describe to you everything that I have seen would be very difficult, but just let me say it has been nothing short of amazing.
Naomi, myself and her mother and father set out for Nikko which is settled way up in the mountains and about two hours from Gunma. Our first stop was Nikko where there are many temples and shrines with many ornate carvings. To get to the highest shrine you must climb 207 very steep steps, I bet you are saying I did not make it, well believe it or not I did. We looked over the many shrines and as you entered each one you needed to take your shoes off, I was lucky that I had worn thongs. During our stay there we had lunch in the restaurant. We then left Nikko and travelled to a National Park. Here you were able to take a walking trail around a large lake. The scenery was amazing. From there we travelled back to Nikko and to our hotel where we were to stay the night. I do not have my paperwork with me at the moment so I can not tell you the names of these places but when I get home I will explain further. The hotel was called a pension which means small hotel. After having a shower we went down to the restaurant for dinner and what a dinner it was. You did not get to choose what you wanted as everyone was served the same. 1st course - salad, 2nd course - ham & fetta cheese, 3rd course was pumpkin soup, 4th course - cooked trout and vegetables, 5th course - Australian beef with vegetables and 6th course was a delicious dessert of sponge cake, pear icecream and cream. This was followed by coffee. After dinner we were invited to take a seat upstairs, everyone who had been dinner was up there, it was very interesting, one guy could speak English, one guy had been to Cairns and another young lady was an author who like to write about Buddism. It was just a lovely family atmosphere. The four of us then went for a short walk around the lake to wear of the dinner we had eaten. When we came back to the pension Naomi and I went for our first zen (Hot Spring Bath) however this was a little different as you had the spa all to yourself. It was simpy divine. We then retired to bed, very tired but very happy.
I will end this blog here and I will tell you about today's adventure.
Sayonnara!

No comments:

Post a Comment